The concept of Inertia, as we know, is fundamental in physics. Newton described it as:
I think, Newton got it right when he said “everybody”.
For mortals, I’d like to introduce the concept of ‘forces of comfort’ – which are the unknown forces that act on your body and mind, to bring it to a known state of comfort.
I’ll start with myself and this blog. The last post (How to kill a good idea) before this was written on 1st March 2011. It was a good post and I got a fair amount of online and offline comments appreciating the writing.
At first I enjoyed the appreciation and then I got busy, i tried to beat my previous best and so on! A few months passed by and Inertia set in!! After that, every passing week and month, Inertia was bigger and harder to fight. I tried several times, over long weekends and 16 hr flights – but the thoughts just wouldn’t flow. There was always something else that I found comfort in.
The forces of comfort prevent us from creating a change and show up in different forms. Here are some I could think of, this morning:
- Comfort of familiarity: I know this place/people/routine, I’m comfortable
- Comfort of knowledge: I understand it, i'm comfortable.
- Comfort of Inaction: If I don’t do anything, It probably stays largely comfortable.
- Comfort of minimal satisfaction: It’s not really great but I’m comfortable because i'm OK.
- Comfort of busy-ness: I’m so busy, i don’t have time to bring a change in what I do.
Today, I’m trying to break the Inertia for myself. Let’s see if I can fight the forces of comfort and continue writing and create a new inertia, where i feel uncomfortable if i don't write.
Wish me luck! and please share forces of comfort that you experience.